Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer In Maine



I haven't been blogging very much this summer for one simple reason, who wants to take pictures of food and sit at a computer to write about it while you can be at the beach??? 

Summer has finally arrived in Maine after one of the longest, hardest winters on record!  Don't get me wrong, Mainers love their winters, but we are just as passionate about summer.  What is more, summer in Maine is a much shorter season than winter! 

Since my last post, we've been blessed with many visitors from far and away.  Our son, Sam, serves in Nicaragua as a minister approximately 9 months out of the year.  While there, he's met some wonderful friends that came to visit Maine in July.  Jefte, is a Nicaraguan native.  Zach is from Australia.  Sweet young men who make their parents proud.

Needless to say, when foreigners visit Maine, they want to try a LOBSTAH!!  We decided to make a traditional lobster dinner which there is no need to write details over how to do it.  It's easy, one huge pot of boiling water, salt, lobster, and fresh corn on the cob!!  Throw it all together and boil for 8-10 minutes and it's done!!  Serve with melted butter along with salt and pepper.  Seriously, if you can boil water, you can do this!!

The part I always enjoy is watching everyone try to eat it for the first time!! Juices fly, shells are cracked and a huge mess incurs!  For me, it's too much work for too little meat!! I refuse to work that hard for food!!  

We also frequented our favorite ice cream shop, Fielder's Choice, several times before the guys packed up to leave. Homemade treats for all!  If you are ever in central Maine, Fielder's has two locations:  Route 202 in Manchester and Route 126 in Sabattus.  Worth every single, licking calorie!!




The visitors departure was bittersweet for us. We met some great new friends, but Sam departed with them and will return to us in April 2015!!  I think Jefte and Zach may return some day as well.

Finally, I have been trying to hit the beach as often as possible.  My goal is to grab a grandchild or two on my day off and enjoy the waves.  Scarborough Beach is my happy place ! I spent many summer days there in my youth and am thrilled to be able to experience it all over with my children and grandchildren.  I think Dave and Jaylin share my sentiment!!





I hope everyone is taking advantage of the awesome weather and spending time with family and friends. I'm thankful and appreciative that I live in such a gorgeous area of the country.  It certainly lives up to the slogan,  'The Way Life Should Be' !





No comments:

Post a Comment

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

                                                                    With all good intentions, I truly wanted to make a double batch of choco...