Friday, September 20, 2013

Welcome



This being the first post on Entertain ME, I thought I would start off by introducing you to a few basic needs that you may want to consider for your kitchen.

I've learned over the years that you truly do not have to invest in a set of pots and pans.  My suggestion is that you purchase individual pieces over time that you find you will use regularly.  That way you can build a great set on your terms.  The bottom line is that some brands may be awesome at making frying pans, but deficient in regards to stock pots, dutch ovens, etc.

My first must have is the cast iron skillet.  You are cheating yourself horribly if you don't learn to cook on cast iron!!!  Coming from a poor family, I was raised with cast irons skillets. They are affordable and are pretty hard to destroy...unless you decide to sign up for the  frying pan throwing contest at the Monmouth Fair. They are priced at $20-30 and are an investment that will reward you over and over again. They also make a great wedding gift!


A medium sauce pan is another must have, as well as a medium stock pot.  A decent colander is another tool that will become one of your best friends.  I wouldn't buy a flimsy, plastic one that will break down over time.  I purchased the Pampered Chef set awhile ago. While they are nice, they aren't my favorites.  They are pretty pricey, too.  I found a nice one on sale last week I am finding is the most helpful, the Farberware over the sink collapsible colander.

This afternoon, I am taking a trip to Emery's Market, in Monmouth, Maine to check out their organic meats and cheese.  I'll post my findings tomorrow.  

7 comments:

  1. Why don't you care for the Pampered Chef colander? I don't have one... I was just curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. It's not that I don't like the Pampered Chef set, I prefer the Farberware over it. Cost is a major dislike= $38.00 for a set of three. Farberware is around $13-15. My favorite feature of the Farberware is that it is hands free!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've notice too, that the food(especially pasta)gets crusted in the PC colander. But, in the Farberware one, it doesn't. Not sure why, but it's a definitely plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post... thanks for the info. Will have to dig out the cast iron skillets that I know are hiding in the basement somewhere...... my mom always used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how some things are timeless. Yes, haul it out and use it!

      Delete
  5. Yay for your first blog!! :) We got a set of cast iron skillets for our wedding and have only used them once. I'm kind of scared to. Do you think you will post a blog about the important differences between a regular skillet and a cast iron one? Or ways to be good at cooking with cast iron?? I'm super excited about this blog!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long and short of it is you would have to work hard to ruin cast iron. Use it and learn from your mistakes.

      For me, the reason I encourage people to use them is that most of us have one (or two) that we have access to. Many view them as a 'camping' fry or 'grandmas' fry pan.

      The key to cast iron is get the pan hot (not overheated) and keep them well oiled. Don't be afraid to take a napkin with a little oil after you wash them and wipe it down. You want to steer clear of scrubbing them with abrasive pads. Another tidbit to help in cleaning them is to pour water in them directly after use while it's still on the stove.

      Delete

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

                                                                    With all good intentions, I truly wanted to make a double batch of choco...