Monday, January 20, 2014

Cilantro & Lime Chicken Burritos

 
My son, Ben is a huge fan of Chipotle Mexican Grill. I went there with him last summer and was shocked at the cost (8.00) for a single burrito!!  Yes, I am very cheap, especially when I know I could make 8 for about 12.00!!  With that said, this blog is about how to make an awesome cilantro and lime chicken burrito! 
 
Ingredients:
3 boneless chicken breasts
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 sweet onion
2 c. Basmati rice
1  bunch of cilantro
1/2 c. Lime juice
1 can of black beans
1 can of sweet corn
Low fat Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream
8 floured whole wheat or white tortillas
 
I use my cast iron fry pan for this recipe. I preheat it on medium heat for 10 minutes. I
spray it with canola oil and place the salt and peppered breasts into the pan.
The seasoned cast iron pan releases natural oils to the chicken. I cook them for about 6 minutes on each side. I take them out of the skillet and replace them with the sliced peppers and onion.
When the veggies are almost done, add the chicken back to the pan. This allows the chicken to absorb the flavor of them.
Turn down the heat to low and start the rice.  Rice is extremely easy to make. Take 3 cups of water , 2 cups of rice and 2 tbsp. of butter and place in a medium sized pot.
 
 
Stir and turn on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, turn to low heat and cover with a tight lid. Here's the key, let it cook for 15 minutes without checking on it!!
While you wait for the rice, take the chicken and slice into thin strips.  Chop the cilantro and measure out the lime juice.


After the rice cooks, remove from heat and let stand for ten minutes. When you remove the lid, take a fork and fluff it up. Add the chopped cilantro and lime juice.

Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and fill with the chicken ,veggies, corn and beans. You can top with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese as well.


                                 Wrap and cut in half. You can serve with warm tortilla chips.
 
This is a Weight Watcher point - friendly meal if you omit the sour cream. I use the 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas, 6 Snyder reduced fat tortilla chips,2 tbsp. of rice, 2 tbsp. corn and beans, 2 tbsp. of peppers and onions, low fat cheddar cheese, and this meal is 6-8 points.
Salsa is another condiment that can be served with these with no added points!!!   I love the fact it can be made in just two pans!!! Easy clean up, too! It's also a great meal for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

                                                                    With all good intentions, I truly wanted to make a double batch of choco...