Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What NOT to say at the table!


I was chuckling over a glass of wine about all the things we say, with good intentions, when we are conversing over a meal.

We all have various diets and food preferences. With that, has anyone experienced someone who feels the need to tell them how many chemicals and toxins are in their favorite dish just as they put the fork to their mouth?  Have we been the one guilty of doing that? Shame, shame...  It's probably not the time or the place to say that. If there's real concern, lovingly tell them in private at another time.

If we are dieting, which most people seem to be, do we count the calories of every morsel that's consumed and announce it to the entire party.  Example: 'I'd order dessert, but taking into account that cheesecake has 35grams of fat and 550 calories, I can't justify it... just saying..' Why thank you, joy sucker!! Like we didn't know cheesecake was a splurge food!!!! Go have a rice cake on me and pretend it's delicious !!!!

On that note, there are certain people you never want to disclose you are on a diet to. They become your personal calorie counters!! 'Do you think that's a low point choice?' 'Here, have this , it's a 100 calorie snack' 'How's the diet going?' 'You are going to have to walk 10 miles to burn those fries off'.
Thank you, thank you, thank you... Is your name, Jillian Michaels? If so, I don't recall hiring you!!

Never discuss a cleanse over a meal. Never. Don't do it!! The gym, yes, dinner, no!!

I appreciate the health value of a vegetarian lifestyle. I truly wish I didn't like my beef, chicken, and pork , but I absolutely love it.  My beef, pardon the pun, is when some vegetarians feel it necessary to make a comment like the following while looking down at a grilled piece of prime rib, 'That's disgusting. How can you eat something that had a mother?' Ouch, ouch, ouch. That's not okay!!!!  Maybe at a different time, kindly ask your beef eating friend to refrain from the meat because it makes you nauseous.  Thankfully, that's only happened to me a few times.

Do not calculate the food cost of a meal aloud while eating out. Yes, we know you could probably have fed 30 children in the third world on what was spent on dinner, but do NOT announce it to the entire table!! My husband, who is the Food Cost King, can scan a table and within minutes tell you the cost per person!! Thankfully, he's gotten more mellow with age!! I love you, David!

Lastly, unless you are going to see Food, Inc., don't discuss it over a meal. Not good.  While I enjoyed the documentary and have taken to heart many points from it, not everyone appreciates reviewing it while trying to enjoy their food at the moment. No need to recap the film. Keep it light and fun!

Appreciate the differences without highlighting the negatives!!! Enjoy the meal without guilt or judgment.
                                                               Chardonnay vs. Colon.
                                                          Which one makes you smile?


1 comment:

  1. Oh, snap! Too bad that this isn't just common sense.(although sadly I am racking my memory as to whether I may be an offender)

    ReplyDelete

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

                                                                    With all good intentions, I truly wanted to make a double batch of choco...