Saturday, November 9, 2013

Stovetop Mac & Cheese


This recipe for macaroni and cheese can be done on the stove for under 20 minutes.  It's super rich and extremely easy to make at times when you may want something in a hurry!!

                                                     Ingredients:  1 lb. Macaroni Shells
                                                             1/2 stick of butter
                                                              1/3 c. flour
                                                            3 c. Whole Milk
                                                            3 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
                                                            3 c. Blended Cheese
                                                                   1/2 onion
                                                          Salt & Pepper to Taste
                                             (A little parsley for garnish is optional)

                                             
Start by getting the pasta water boiling. At the same time, melt the butter in a separate pot. Chop the onion into medium pieces and saute them in the melted butter.  Add salt and pepper at this time.

When the onions reach a translucent stage, it is time to make the roux!! Note: A roux is usually equal parts flour and butter .This can be challenging if you've never done it before.  Add 1/3 c. flour to the onion and butter.


Stir and continue cooking until it reaches a thick, golden brown consistency.  Don't be afraid to let it brown.
I am very generous with my pepper. I'm a little more cautious with the salt, but no one wants bland food.


A plug for one of my most used pieces of kitchen equipment is my large Pampered Chef multi-purpose
measuring bowl/cup.  Pyrex makes a nice one, too.  I have several sizes in the Pyrex line. I use them every time I cook.  They are all extremely affordable.  That said, warm 3 cups of milk in the microwave. You could
use 1 or 2 % but if you want it to be REALLY creamy, go for broke and use whole milk!
I can't stress warming the milk enough before adding it to your roux.  If the milk were cold, it truly compromises it's consistency.
Add the Dijon mustard and the shredded cheese, one cup at a time.  I like to mix the my cheese.  I always use a yellow cheddar, but I also add a cup of shredded super sharp and a cup of shredded swiss. You can buy a three or five cheese blend in the grocery store, too. One of my favorite things is shredding the cheese so I always do it myself.

Stir slowly until it is well blended and melted.  It will thicken over time.  Don't make the mistake of thinking you need more cheese!! You will end up with cement if you do.  The shells should be ready to add at this time.  Strain them, but do not rinse them!!!  The cheese will adhere to the pasta 100% better and it will help thicken the cheese sauce. 


                               Finish the dish with a little chopped parsley and campari tomatoes
                             



 
A couple of tidbits to leave you with...............I find shells are the ideal pasta to use for this dish because of their ability to collect the cheese sauce! They also hold up well for reheating.  The Dijon Mustard also adds great flavor to the sauce.  You can use yellow mustard, but I find it's not as tasty.  This meal is so affordable, too.  It serves approximately 8 for around $6.00!!

I wish I had made this for my children when they were little. I always thought it was too much work and too much money. Little did I realize that for the same amount of time and a little more money, I could have fed them so much better!! Live and learn, they still love me!! 

1 comment:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

                                                                    With all good intentions, I truly wanted to make a double batch of choco...