Saturday, December 21, 2013

Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus

Home made hummus, where have you been all of my life????  At my husband's urging, I made hummus for the first time!!  Believe it or not, it took five minutes!!!

I can't believe all of these years I've bought it in the store, when it can be made better, fresher and cheaper at home!!

                                                      2 cans of Garbanzo Beans (chick peas)
                                                        1/4 c. Roasted Red Peppers
                                                         4 tbsp. of  Chopped Garlic
                                                            2 tbsp. of Olive Oil
                                                             2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
                                                               1 tsp. Salt


The only thing you have to do is drain your beans!! You can make any variation you like.  I love roasted red peppers and garlic.  Throw everything into a food processor and turn it on high!!



                                It yields about four cups of hummus and costs less than $3.00!!!
 Two things you want to do, make sure it's creamy and refrigerate for an hour before serving to allow it to firm up.

It's funny how we hold back from trying new things because of fear of the unknown. I thought it was too hard and I was better off buying it in the grocery store.  Never again!

                                            Such a healthy alternative to high fat dips! 

PS- You don't need a honking food processor like mine.  I've said this in an earlier blog my husband is all about 'go big or go home' and insisted on a huge mixer and a huge food processor. A small, sweet one is all you need unless you plan to open a catering business!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

                                                                    With all good intentions, I truly wanted to make a double batch of choco...